DID YOU KNOW?
- Composting organics directly reduces the effects of global warming. Without oxygen organics buried in the landfill produce methane - a potent greenhouse gas.
- Cardboard is one of the easiest and most environmentally effective materials to recycle.
- The Municipality of Jasper runs a very successful Beverage Container Donation Program. Recycle your beverage containers and refund deposits flow back into community non-profit organizations.
SOLID WASTE COLLECTION
- Residents must take their garbage to the nearest wild-proof garbage bin. Household and commercial garbage are collected daily from residential and commercial bins throughout town.
- It is an offence to dump furniture, oversized items, tires, appliances, household hazardous waste and electronic waste at the residential bins. These items must be disposed of at the Transfer Station.
- Still useful household items and furniture can be donated to Jasper's Reuse-it Centre.
- It is an offence to dump garbage that contains liquid or hazardous materials.
More on the Transfer Station About Household Hazardous Waste
Mixed paper, shredded paper, newspaper and cardboard can be dropped off at the municipal Environmental Services building. The loading bay door is on the east side of the building. Bringing paper directly to the baling bay takes the pressure off of the other recycling areas in town.
Commercial Cardboard Drop-off Hours
Everyday 1:00 - 4:00 pm
No dumping outside building outside of business hours.
Cardboard boxes do not have to be broken down if you take advantage of the public hours of operation.
Commercial Kitchen Organics Collection
The Municipality of Jasper operates a commercial organics collection program. Composting helps to greatly reduce the quantity of garbage that your business produces. By choosing to compost your organics you are making an environmentally responsible choice. Composting will help reduce your garbage costs. Organic waste is collected by the Municipality three times a week from June - October (Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday) and twice a week during the winter (Wednesday & Saturday).
Important things to know about composting: Compost bins must be kept indoors. This is mandatory because the compost bins are not wildlife-proof! This collection service is free for participating businesses. Composting bins are provided free of charge for participating businesses.
Compost bins are for kitchen organics only:
- Fruit/Vegetable peels & rinds
- Coffee Grounds & Filters
- Tea Bags/leaves Eggshells
- Paper Napkins
Don't include these items in the compost!
- NO Animal Waste
- NO Dairy Products
- NO Plastic, Tin or Glass
- NO Meat products or Bones
The Municipality of Jasper encourages all businesses to participate in the commercial composting program. If you would like more information or are interested in other ways to make your business more environmentally responsible please contact the Environmental Stewardship Coordinator at 780-852-1563.