banking and documents

Getting your license.

For information on how to renew, obtain or transfer an international Driver’s License, visit this Government of Alberta webpage.

Registries Office:

You may be required to visit a Registries Office in person to complete the process. The Jasper Registries Office is located in the Servus Credit Union.

  • Location: 308 Connaught Drive
  • Phone: 780-852-5994


A Drivers’ License is the most commonly used and accepted piece of ID for Albertans. If you do not have a driver’s license, see about getting an Alberta ID Card, through your local Registries office.

Vehicle registration 

In Alberta your vehicle must have insurance and be registered to be on the road. To renew, obtain or see about transferring an international Drivers License, visit Alberta Registries. 

More information: registries services and documentation requirements.

Getting a Social Insurance Number.

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a unique nine-digit number assigned to one single person by the Government of Canada. 

You must have a SIN number to work in Canada. You can also use a SIN number to access government programs and benefits.

All newcomers to Canada should apply for a SIN. Visit the Service Canada website for more information on what the SIN number is and how to apply online or in person.

Government of Canada – Service Canada

Opening a bank account.

In Canada, you have the right to open a bank account at a bank or a federally regulated credit union as long as you show proper identification.

You can open an account even if you:

  • don’t have a job
  • don’t have money to put in the account right away
  • have been bankrupt

To open an account, you usually have to:

  • go in person to a financial institution
  • provide an acceptable form of identification

Contact the financial institution to find out if there are other ways to open an account. Financial institutions that operate only online may require that you have an existing account with another financial institution before opening an account for you.

Opening a bank account if you’re not a Canadian citizen:

You may be able to open a bank account with the proper identification in Canada if you’re not a Canadian citizen or if you live in another country.

You may need to go to the financial institution in person to open a bank account.

Contact the financial institution for more information about opening a bank account if you're not a Canadian citizen.

This website has a lot of good information on banking in Canada:

In Jasper, there are 4 in-person banking service centres:

  • CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce)
    1. Phone: 780-852-3391
    2. Location: 416 Connaught Drive Jasper, AB 
  • TD (Toronto Dominion)
    1. Phone: 780-852-6270
    2. Location: 606 Patricia St. Jasper, AB 
  • Servus Credit Union
    1. Phone: 780-852-1175
    2. Location: 308 Connaught Dr. Jasper, AB
  • ATB (Alberta Treasury Branch)
    1. Phone: 780-852-1810
    2. Location: 404 Patricia St. Jasper, AB
  • Other banks or federally regulated credit unions are available online.