Fire Prevention and Inspections
Purpose of InspectionsAll businesses and the building they are operating from are required to have an inspection. The inspection is in place to ensure the safety of the building and all people who may use the building.
To organize an inspection, please contact the administrative assistant Kelly Dawson:
The fire code deals with life safety of not only those fleeing the building in an emergency, but also the safety of the fire fighters who are entering the building to mitigate the event.
Fire Code Benefits
If the building is designed, built, and maintained as it is supposed to, it should decrease the rate of fire spread through:
- early detection,
- some initial method of fire protection (manual or automatic)
- a clear route of escape should it be necessary, and
- some form of partitioning
Educating Employees & Patrons
Ensuring the building is safe against fires ultimately rests with the people who work there and those who are patrons of the business.
What you can do to ensure fire safety at your business:
- do not store combustibles in the furnace room
- take a fire prevention or fire suppression training course (with employees)
- be aware of your buildings detection and alarm systems
- learn escape routes
- understand the suppression systems:
- do they have a manual override?
- do I know how to use them?