A Library of Things works just like a library for books, but you borrow items such as:
- Homewares, like a sewing machine.
- Kitchen things, like a slow cooker
- Outdoor things, like a lawn mower
- Tools like a drill
The Library of Things is at the Jasper Activity Centre, and has more than 30 things to borrow.
You can borrow Things and return them when you’re done using them. It’s a great way to access items you only need once in a while, that are expensive, or hard to store.
Our goal is to help reduce waste and consumption through sharing. This program also makes things more accessible and affordable!
Library of Things key points:
- Borrowing an item and membership to the Library of Things is free.
- Residents of Jasper 18 years and older can rent things.
- Standard borrow time is 1 week.
How to borrow an item in-person:
- Browse the Things that are available to rent in the rental list below, or check out our catalogue of Things in-person at the Activity Centre Front Desk.
- See a Clerk at the Activity Centre Front Desk and let them know what item you would like to check out. They will let you know if it’s available.
- Register for the Library of Things with the Clerk.
- Read and sign the waivers provided by the Clerk.
- Take the Thing home to use, and return it to the Activity Centre Clerk when you’re done with it. It’s that easy!
Watch this captioned tutorial on how to borrow a thing online or follow these instructions:
- Login to your Municipality of Jasper online account (if you don’t have an online account, create a new one by clicking “My Account”).
- Once your account is activated, go to the rentals page.
- Click “View Rental Information”.
- Scroll down to “Library of Things Item Rentals” and click “Book Now”.
- Click the “Book Service" category.
- Select Library of Things from the drop-down menus.
- Enter the date and time for your rental.
- Click "Search" to check the availability of the item.
- If the item is available, click "Select All", set the quantity to one and click “Apply to Selected”.
- Click “Add Selected”.
- It will show "Pending Activation" for the item.
- Select "Finish".
- It will direct you to the Release of Liability Waiver of Claims and Indemnity Agreement & Acknowledgement of Risk Statement. Complete your rental by reviewing and electronically signing these.
- Once signed, a confirmation page will appear where you can see the details of your rental. You will receive an email with all of this information at the same time.
- Now you can go to the Activity Centre and pick up your rental!
Things you can borrow
Take a look through the items you can borrow below: