Cultivating a healthy, connected & equitable community
The Municipality of Jasper believes in the advancement of a connected and equitable society. Celebrating diversity and practicing inclusion promotes respect for all citizens, strengthens the community, reduces causes of disadvantage and inequality and ensures that all citizens of Jasper enjoy the best quality of life possible.
- Adapted from the Municipality of Jasper Community Sustainability Plan – September, 2011
Welcoming & Inclusive Communities Proclamation
The Alberta Urban Municipalities Association (AUMA) defines a welcoming and inclusive community as “one which is free from discrimination and where residents feel able to participate in all aspects of the social, cultural and economic life of the community.”
Questions about the proclamation?
Contact the Community and Family Services Department by email or by calling 780-852-2100.
What can I do to be more inclusive?
1. Watch the Jasper `Diverse. Inclusive. Together.’ animation and share it with your family, friends, co-workers and neighbours. Discuss your thoughts. Ask respectful questions. Learn more.
2. Watch your language. A common language can help us avoid confusion and misunderstanding. Here are some Terms to Get Started.
3. Read the Snapshots of diversity and be aware of groups at risk of exclusion in our community.
4. Think about the people you interact with every day; at work, at school, at play and in your neighbourhood. Ask yourself:
- Who is not included?
- Why are they excluded?
- What can I do differently to ensure inclusion in my community?
Check out the Cultural Calendar!
The Cultural Calendar highlights some cultural, religious, spiritual celebrations and awareness days that diverse community members may be observing.
We can make Jasper a more welcoming place and support newcomers by being aware of the culturally important days of neighbors, employees, friends and fellow community members.
The Cultural Calendar includes important dates and on the back are explanations so you can learn more.